Are you crossing a bar this summer?
Already this summer, our volunteers across the country have responded to a number of serious incidents at bar crossings. Boaties, if you're planning to cross a bar anywhere in New Zealand, please take five mins to watch this video and remember these key safety measures.
Before heading out:
- Seek local advice
- Check the weather forecast
- Check the tide – only cross a bar at high tide.
- Carry two forms of waterproof communication
- Wear your lifejacket
- File a trip report with Coastguard over VHF, *500, or the Coastguard App
Once you get to the bar:
- Stop and observe the bar
- Tie down any loose equipment & close all hatches
- Brief your crew
- Make a Bar Crossing Report with Coastguard via VHF, or call *500
- Get a VHF & PLB in a crew member’s hand in case anything goes wrong
- If in doubt – don’t go out
- Once you’ve crossed, close your Bar Crossing Report with Coastguard.
If you need to scrub up on your skills, find your nearest boating course at - https://www.boatingeducation.org.nz/
Find our full boaties’ checklist and a range of how-to guides at - https://www.boatiesbestmate.nz/
For more information, contact:
Coastguard New Zealand Senior Communications Advisor