Ongoing Search Efforts for Missing Diver in Ahipara
Northland, 29 December 2023 – Northland Coastguard Air Patrol (NCAP) remains actively engaged in the search for a missing diver in Ahipara, which was reported on December 23. Adverse weather conditions have significantly impacted visibility, presenting challenges in executing search operations.
Despite the weather hindrances, NCAP conducted an aerial search on December 27. Unfortunately, the missing diver was not located.
A subsequent search operation was carried out on December 28, demonstrating NCAP's unwavering commitment to locating the missing individual. However, regrettably, the diver remains unaccounted for at this time.
Northland Coastguard Air Patrol search pattern on 27 Dec
Our Coastguard Operations Centre and Coastguard Air Patrol volunteers continue to collaborate closely with the Police, who are leading the investigation, to persist in the search efforts.
Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the missing diver during this difficult time.
For any updates or additional information concerning this incident, we urge the public and media to contact Police directly, as they are overseeing all search efforts.
For more information, contact:
[email protected] | 0275 528 947
About Coastguard Tautiaki Moana
Coastguard is a charity powered by over 2,000 volunteers in communities around Aotearoa New Zealand. We’re here for all water enthusiasts, from boaties and kayakers to paddleboarders – whatever your waka. Our volunteers who crew rescue vessels, fly in the sky in our search aircraft, and are the ears and voice at the end of the radio, have been dedicated to saving lives for over 150 years.
Last year, our highly trained and skilled volunteers gave 273,269 hours to help Kiwis make the most out of their time on the water, safely and with confidence. We assisted more than 6,300 people home, rescued 142, and saved six lives. We're the crew you can turn to for help - big or small – whether for a simple tow back to shore, sharing knowledge and advice through educational courses, or jumping into action on an urgent search and rescue mission.
We're a charity with 66% of our operating income coming from donations, membership, sponsorship, and grants. The remaining 34% comes from central government funding.