Cyclone Cody to bring dangerous marine conditions to NZ
Thanks to the good people at the MetService New Zealand we have a couple of days to plan and prepare to avoid any mishaps or further tragedy when Cyclone Cody makes landfall over the weekend.
- If you were planning to go to the beach or be on the water, make sure to regularly check the MetService website and social media channels to see whether you might be in Cody’s path.
- If in any doubt stay away from the beach and don’t go on the water.
- The best place for your boat this weekend is secured in your driveway, at the marina or on a reliable mooring.
- Avoid being at anchor if at all possible.
- If you must be at anchor, plan ahead to be in an anchorage that is well protected from SE winds, make sure you are on good holding ground with a well dug in anchor and plenty of chain out.
- Make sure your boat is weathertight and that your bilge pumps work.
- Keep up to date by following the weather on the MetService and Coastguard apps and know that if you need us in an emergency Coastguard is available 24 hours a day by calling 111 or VHF Channel 16.
For more information, contact:
Coastguard New Zealand Senior Communications Advisor