Coastguard Kapiti Coast was formed in February 2006 from the then coastguard units of the Kapiti Boating Club and the Waikanae Boating Club. The units at that time were finding it difficult to continue serving two masters and the boating clubs were losing direct control over the assets and operations of the coastguard sections.
The Kapiti section had its genesis in the early days of the KBC (around 1957) when a primary reason for the club was the cooperative safety net provided by all members and their boats. This developed into dedicated rescue boats in the 1980’s.
The Waikanae Boating Club was formed in the 1960s and the coastguard section developed in a similar way.
|Legal Name||Coastguard Kapiti Coast|