What information we collect
Personal Information that we collect may include (but is not limited to): your name, address, telephone numbers, email address, comments, date of birth, credit or debit card details, bank account details, boat information, information about donations, details of alternative contacts and location.
You may provide Personal Information to us in the following circumstances:
- When you agree to download our app (App)
- When you visit our website (Website), including when you fill out a form or survey
- When you agree to become a Coastguard member (Member)
- When you make a donation or gift to us
- When you make an inquiry or order products or services from us
- Any other time you provide Personal Information to us.
How we use and disclose that information
We use Personal Information for these purposes only:
- Providing services to you (including marine assistance and search and rescue)
- Improving our services (including in the circumstances set out below under Website)
- Responding to inquiries and dealing with requests
- Dealing with payments and membership matters (including providing renewal reminders to you and informing you of declined payments)
- Distributing receipts for donations, memberships and courses
- Thanking donors for their donation
- Informing supporters about upcoming fundraising, membership, lotteries, boating education courses, events and other Coastguard news and activities
- Internal analysis and record keeping
- To inform you of our work and of any services and products that may be of interest to you (unless you opt out of receiving such communications)
- Such other purposes as are required by law.
We will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties except for these purposes:
- Where third parties provide services on our behalf, for example processing payments (see below under Financial Transactions)
- Meeting any applicable law or regulation
- Enforcing our rights
- Such disclosure as is permitted by law
- In the case of a donation or gift, as indicated below
- Comments given in forms and surveys may be used in promotional materials, with your approval.
In the case of donations, we allow supporters the option to have their name publicly associated with their donation unless the donor explicitly chooses to be anonymous when donating.
How we protect your Personal Information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure the security and confidentiality of Personal Information. We observe strict data handling and information security protocols.
We will keep your Personal Information only for as long as is reasonably necessary, having regard to the purpose of collection, and in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Website and Cookies
Our website and our App use third-party cookies (including from Google) for the following purposes:
- To track visitor activity so that we can improve the content of our sites
- To provide visitors with a more relevant overall experience with the Coastguard website and our App.
Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored on your computer. Cookies are widely used on the internet and do not give websites access to your computer or any of the information on it. As provided in this policy, we never share information you provide us with third parties. If you do not want this site to place a cookie on your browser and track your activity, you may browse the site using privacy mode on your web browser or disable cookies. Please refer to your browser or device’s documentation for how to do this.
If you opt in to our newsletter or any of our other marketing emails, clicking on a link in any of these emails may cause you to be personally identified on our site and may cause some part of your past browsing history on our site to be available to our staff to determine your interests so that we may more effectively engage with you and so we may improve our site. If you do not wish for this tracking to occur, you can unsubscribe from our mailings or use private browsing mode to avoid tracking.
Each email sent from our CRM system provides a clear way to subscribe to only the information that you want to receive, or to opt out of fundraising and marketing emails. Please note that donation receipts and membership renewal emails cannot be unsubscribed from.
Access and Correction of Information
You have the right to access and request a correction to your personal information. Please notify us of any changes to your personal details as soon as possible by contacting us.
Any payments, including recurring credit car and direct debit payments, are processed through trusted payment processors. Any credit card details provided are securely encrypted by our payment processor, and are not stored by us. If you request a change of your credit card details, these are set up via our payment processor and are not stored by us. Our credit card payment gateway is owned and managed by Windcave, a PCI DSS compliant provider.
Our website provides links to other sites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or procedures of other sites.
Notification of Changes
If you have any complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or managed by us, please contact us.
We will endeavour to resolve any complaint to your satisfaction. However, if you are unhappy with our response, you may contact the Privacy Commissioner who may investigate your complaint further.
Coastguard New Zealand
PO Box 33559
Takapuna Auckland 0740