The 1958 drowning of two teenagers on the Riverton bar was the catalyst for the formation of the Taremea Bay Rescue Unit, complete with a secondhand clinker-built wooden boat and an equally secondhand outboard motor. Later the name was changed to Riverton Volunteer Lifeboat Institute and in 1979, upon joining Coastguard, we became Riverton Coast Guard Incorporated.
After that first craft came a 12ft 6in Dunlop Inflatable which the unit imported from the UK. This was followed by Sea Rover - a 16ft inflatable, with an Avon inflatable seeing service. This was until our 6.8m Naiad ‘Russell John Chisholm’ was purchased in 1999. The Chisholm family assisted with funding for the vessel in memory of their young son Russell who was lost a sea in a tragic air accident along with three others.
Initially our vessel and gear was stored in the fire station and the boat towed by the fire engine to the launching ramp. Later the bowling club was used and in 1990 our current headquarters was built with launching ramp directly into the sea.
Our volunteer team is 18 strong and go about their duties with a dedication and intensity that does them great credit. They train regularly so that they are always prepared for any emergency situation that they are required to deal with.
|Legal Name||Riverton Coastguard Inc|
Click on the map and choose from the list below (full NZ location map pdf here).